Chapter 4 in Rules for Writers is about writing effective paragraphs. The first part of developing your paragraphs is to establish your main points. Next is choosing a pattern of organization. While organizing you need to make sure that your paragraph lengths are appropriate. Paragraphs are a bunch of sentences clustered together that support your main idea.
To make your main point effective it needs to be stated in the topic sentence. You also need to make sure that you are contentious about sticking to your main points and not diverting from them. It is easy to get lost and sway from your main points. There are multiple ways to choose a suitable pattern of organization. A few examples are description, process, compare and contrast, illustrations, narration, analogy, cause and effect, classification and division, and definition. Any of these organization patterns can occur alone, in combination and many of times throughout your paper. Next you need to make sure that your paragraphs are clear and easy to read. The way to make sure that this happens is to maintain consistency and to have effective transition sentences that guide your reader from one idea to the next.
I have to say that this was a very informative chapter. I really found that I have learned how to better organize my paragraphs. I have always felt that I have been good at transition sentences, but my organization leaves a lot to be desired. I think that the direction that this chapter has given me will help improve my paper writing skills. I plan on using all the strategies I have read about in this chapter to become a better writer.
About Me
- Andrea Montalvan
- Hello there everyone! My name is Andrea. I am twenty-five years old. I have a seven week old little girl. I am currently a stay at home mom. I grew up and am still located in Clearlake. I am majoring in nursing. I am pretty sure that I want to be a nurse, but as many people I am sometimes still unsure. I love to hunt, fish and to go running. I enjoy being outdoors with my daughter and my fiancé. We hunt turkeys, ducks, pheasant and deer. We have a chocolate lab named Remington. He is trained for hunting and retrieving birds. We enjoy the simple country life here in Clearlake. As far as college goes I am excited for another semester. I am a visual learner who likes to try to get my assignments in a little earlier than the due dates. I do have to take my time when it comes to reading. I have a hard time focusing while I am reading since I am not a sit down and read type of person. I only read for the sake of my classes, otherwise I hate reading. I am hoping to become a better at reading and writing this semester. I am a little rusty since I have been out of school for eight years now. I look forward to getting to know all of you in the course.
No comments:
Post a Comment