Chapter 48 in Rules for Writers is about evaluating arguments and how to distinguish between them and emotional appeals. The first thing when evaluating an argument is to be able to tell the difference between reasonable and fallacious tactics. Fallacious tactics are used to be misguiding and/or dishonest. Secondly, you need to do some inductive reasoning by drawing a conclusion from numerous facts. Next is evaluating the conclusion is very important. In order for a conclusion to successful it must be based on factual information that is relevant to the topic. A conclusion that is based on irrelevant and false information is known as a hasty generalization. Drawing an analogy is a way to use two opposing pieces of information that are so different, but are both relevant to making a point. Lastly, it is always a good idea to be able to distinguish between unfair and fair emotional appeals.
This chapter was very informative about evaluating arguments. I have to say that I haven’t had much experience with argumentative writing, but this information will be very helpful when the time comes. I probably wouldn’t have been able to distinguish between an emotional appeal or a legitimate argument without reading this chapter. I intend on applying all these learned skills when I am evaluating an argument. I really enjoyed reading this chapter
About Me
- Andrea Montalvan
- Hello there everyone! My name is Andrea. I am twenty-five years old. I have a seven week old little girl. I am currently a stay at home mom. I grew up and am still located in Clearlake. I am majoring in nursing. I am pretty sure that I want to be a nurse, but as many people I am sometimes still unsure. I love to hunt, fish and to go running. I enjoy being outdoors with my daughter and my fiancé. We hunt turkeys, ducks, pheasant and deer. We have a chocolate lab named Remington. He is trained for hunting and retrieving birds. We enjoy the simple country life here in Clearlake. As far as college goes I am excited for another semester. I am a visual learner who likes to try to get my assignments in a little earlier than the due dates. I do have to take my time when it comes to reading. I have a hard time focusing while I am reading since I am not a sit down and read type of person. I only read for the sake of my classes, otherwise I hate reading. I am hoping to become a better at reading and writing this semester. I am a little rusty since I have been out of school for eight years now. I look forward to getting to know all of you in the course.
No comments:
Post a Comment