d. How is education a means to save one’s life? How is Alexie attempting to save the life of the students he works with? How did Alexie save his own life?
Alexie demostrated how important having an education can be, especially to children who grow up in poverty. Alexie grew up on the Spokane Indian Reservation in poverty. His father loved to read, therefore; Alexie began reading Superman comic books at age three. On the reservation that Alexie grew up on the children didn't really care about becoming educated as they were never expected to become anything great in their lifetime. As Alexie said many times in his story they were all just indian children expected to be stupid. Alexie beat all the odds and has grown up to become a great writer.
Alexie now spends time going around to the other reservations trying to teach young indian children about the importance of having an education. He explains to them how having an education saved his life. He was able to move from the poverty driven reservation and went on to become a great writer. By visiting the schools Alexie is helping the children become more interested in reading and writing. He is also talking to them about how there is more to life than being on the reservation forever. He has been a great inspiration to the childrren as well as he has inspired me to want to become better at reading and writing.
About Me
- Andrea Montalvan
- Hello there everyone! My name is Andrea. I am twenty-five years old. I have a seven week old little girl. I am currently a stay at home mom. I grew up and am still located in Clearlake. I am majoring in nursing. I am pretty sure that I want to be a nurse, but as many people I am sometimes still unsure. I love to hunt, fish and to go running. I enjoy being outdoors with my daughter and my fiancé. We hunt turkeys, ducks, pheasant and deer. We have a chocolate lab named Remington. He is trained for hunting and retrieving birds. We enjoy the simple country life here in Clearlake. As far as college goes I am excited for another semester. I am a visual learner who likes to try to get my assignments in a little earlier than the due dates. I do have to take my time when it comes to reading. I have a hard time focusing while I am reading since I am not a sit down and read type of person. I only read for the sake of my classes, otherwise I hate reading. I am hoping to become a better at reading and writing this semester. I am a little rusty since I have been out of school for eight years now. I look forward to getting to know all of you in the course.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Andrea,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your insights! Your post has me thinking about the importance of labels and the self-fulfilling nature of them. Regardless of our circumstances, the labels applied to us can have the power to alter who we are and our futures; Alexie is able to realize this and consciously choose to deviate from the label. Unfortunately, we are not all lucky enough to be conscious of the labels infringing upon us.
Lauren
Hi Andrea, I really like reading your posts and agree with what you had to say. I also think that if kids have a parent who loves to read then it makes it easier for the child to follow. I love to read and notice that 5 year is starting to be the same way. Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteHi Andrea,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your posting. We should all be able to reach out to others. It's even harder for people to learn when they are discouraged to do so. Great insights.
Myra A
Hi
ReplyDeleteI really liked your thoughts on the reading.. The importance of education and how to leave poverty behind. This could be, and should be done not only on reservations but in other areas in our country.
Thank you
Benjamin