About Me

Hello there everyone! My name is Andrea. I am twenty-five years old. I have a seven week old little girl. I am currently a stay at home mom. I grew up and am still located in Clearlake. I am majoring in nursing. I am pretty sure that I want to be a nurse, but as many people I am sometimes still unsure. I love to hunt, fish and to go running. I enjoy being outdoors with my daughter and my fiancé. We hunt turkeys, ducks, pheasant and deer. We have a chocolate lab named Remington. He is trained for hunting and retrieving birds. We enjoy the simple country life here in Clearlake. As far as college goes I am excited for another semester. I am a visual learner who likes to try to get my assignments in a little earlier than the due dates. I do have to take my time when it comes to reading. I have a hard time focusing while I am reading since I am not a sit down and read type of person. I only read for the sake of my classes, otherwise I hate reading. I am hoping to become a better at reading and writing this semester. I am a little rusty since I have been out of school for eight years now. I look forward to getting to know all of you in the course.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

"Happy Endings, "Obituary," and "Oompah Loompah" Dialogue

While reading this story I couldn't help but notice how cranky and mean Mr.Harvey was. He was very harsh towards his students and insulted them. He would tell his students that they were no good and couldn't speak right. I don't know if this was just a bad case of tough love or what. I think that he was so hard on his students because of his childhood and how it was a battle for him to get to where he is now.
I can strongly relate to this type of behavior. My fiance's father treats him so bad. He takes out on him the fact that he never got a childhood. He insults my fiance about spending money on fun trips for our family and for doing fun things. He always says, "Why go out and waste your money and time on playing around with your family, when you should be working and saving your money. Family is nothing but a burden and a huge price tag." This just breaks my heart to hear him say these types of things. I know that he is just looking out for our best interest, but doesn't know how to verbalize that in a decent manor.
This was an interesting story to read. I would have to say that I think that Mr.Harvey has the children's best interest at heart, but struggles with channeling those concerns in a constructive fashion. Giving advice and constructive critisism would go a lot farther with his students then degrating them.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Andrea,
    I really like your "tough love" statement. That could be so true. I can't imagine how your fiance must feel towards his dad. I understand a little bit about this. When I was growing up my family never went on trips together, my dad thought it was a waste of money. I promised my family we would travel as much as we could. I have kept that promise. I also agree that Mr. Harvey needs to give constructive criticism. Great writing. Thank you. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea,

    Your post has me thinking about where we draw the line between sharing our two cents and letting people make choices for their own lives. In the case of Mr. Harvey, he certainly feels entitled to tell students they won't amount to anything, but is that really his right to say as a teacher? Certainly, the ability to speak, read and write standard English is used to evaluate people and can determine future success, but there has to be a way to tell students the truth without degrading them.

    Thanks for your insights!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your post in that Mr. Harvey should be giving constructive critisim rather than degrading them. I think that when you degrade someone you are just keeping them down. Instead, it would be better if he built the children up, thereby fostering confidence in the children so that they feel they can succeed in school and in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andrea,
    I’m sorry that your fiancés father thinks family comes with a huge price tag and that his not very nice. I think the whole point of working hard is so that you can provide the best for your family and what your fiancés does with his family on taking fun trips or doing what he does with his family is providing the best for his family. His spending valuable time with his family and there is no price tag on these moments or family. About Mr. Harvey I do agree that there is a better way on trying to help his students other then degrading them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andrea,
    I also think he has the children's best interest at heart but he doesn't know how to voice those concerns more positively. Maybe he has been so frustrated in his life that he just has pent up anger. He definitely was a very bad teacher and he could have taught them in a better way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Andrea,

    I agree with you I didn't like his teaching methods, what's interesting in the story is that Lovey would try and see the best in him, she didn't hate him like the other students. I learned about the background from you as for why he acts the way he does to those students. Thanks,

    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your analogy is great with the story and I like how you bring the word "tough love". That's the word I was looking for in my writing my essay. It's good that we can relate the readings to our life!

    ReplyDelete