The movie Smoke Signal was a very good film. The two main characters in the film Victor and Thomas had a interesting relationship. At first I thought that Victor was very mean to Thomas. As I watched the film more I realized that Victor was kind of a nerdy type of guy and I think that is why he was so harsh towards Thomas. Thomas really looked up to and admired Victor’s dad especially since he saved his life. Also Thomas had never really seen the other side of Arnold like Victor had lived with. Once Thomas saw the other side of Arnold, he and Victor were able to connect in a way that they never were able to .
Victor was very jealous of the relationship that Thomas had with his father. This jealousy was very straining and hard on their relationship all through their childhood. The one thing that helped them rekindle their relationship was the trip to Phoenix, Arizona. They realized that although they were very different in their beliefs that their friendship was worth savoring. Victor was a very traditional person who lived the way a “real” Indian should live. On the other hand Thomas just lived to live and never really slowed down to think about it too much.
This was an interesting movie. I had a little bit of a hard time following everything that was going on. I did learn a good lesson though. You sometimes don’t know what you really have until it is gone. Don’t take your loved ones or friendships for granted. Here today and gone tomorrow.
About Me
- Andrea Montalvan
- Hello there everyone! My name is Andrea. I am twenty-five years old. I have a seven week old little girl. I am currently a stay at home mom. I grew up and am still located in Clearlake. I am majoring in nursing. I am pretty sure that I want to be a nurse, but as many people I am sometimes still unsure. I love to hunt, fish and to go running. I enjoy being outdoors with my daughter and my fiancé. We hunt turkeys, ducks, pheasant and deer. We have a chocolate lab named Remington. He is trained for hunting and retrieving birds. We enjoy the simple country life here in Clearlake. As far as college goes I am excited for another semester. I am a visual learner who likes to try to get my assignments in a little earlier than the due dates. I do have to take my time when it comes to reading. I have a hard time focusing while I am reading since I am not a sit down and read type of person. I only read for the sake of my classes, otherwise I hate reading. I am hoping to become a better at reading and writing this semester. I am a little rusty since I have been out of school for eight years now. I look forward to getting to know all of you in the course.
Hi Andrea,
ReplyDeleteYour post has me thinking about the way Victor mourns his father. He's too interested in being "stoic" to show his emotions. At the start of the film, he strikes me as a person just waiting to blow up; he's bottling so much of his emotions that any show of emotion might open the floodgate. It isn't until he begins to heal that he's able and willing to show his feelings and outwardly mourn for his father.
Thanks for the insights.
Lauren
Hi Andrea
ReplyDeleteI was thinking the same thing about the way Thomas lived his life kinda day to day. It makes me wonder if he told those stories as a way to convince himself of better emotions. He seemed to be more exploratory of his soul than Victor was, at least until the end of the movie. Thomas had that free spirit kinda attitude which helps him through the tough spots in life. Victor on the other hand seemed to always have the cup half empty. I think Thomas's everlasting optimism will eventually rub off on Victor.
Thanks
Hi Andrea,
ReplyDeleteWow i can really understand where your coming form. Seems like everyone this week wrote about Victor and Thomas. They were two characters that were to hard not to notice. Victor was jealous of Thomas but like you said the journey only brought them closer. Good job.
Myra A/