About Me

Hello there everyone! My name is Andrea. I am twenty-five years old. I have a seven week old little girl. I am currently a stay at home mom. I grew up and am still located in Clearlake. I am majoring in nursing. I am pretty sure that I want to be a nurse, but as many people I am sometimes still unsure. I love to hunt, fish and to go running. I enjoy being outdoors with my daughter and my fiancé. We hunt turkeys, ducks, pheasant and deer. We have a chocolate lab named Remington. He is trained for hunting and retrieving birds. We enjoy the simple country life here in Clearlake. As far as college goes I am excited for another semester. I am a visual learner who likes to try to get my assignments in a little earlier than the due dates. I do have to take my time when it comes to reading. I have a hard time focusing while I am reading since I am not a sit down and read type of person. I only read for the sake of my classes, otherwise I hate reading. I am hoping to become a better at reading and writing this semester. I am a little rusty since I have been out of school for eight years now. I look forward to getting to know all of you in the course.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Coming Home Again

Coming Home Again, by Chang-rae Lee, was about the importance of the food preparation in a Korean family‘s life. This story was about a young boy who loved to spend time in the kitchen with his mother. Many of their memories were made in their kitchen. The little boy would rather spend time watching and helping his mother cook rather than going out and playing like children his age normally would. The food also helped the little boy and his mother reunite after he came back from boarding school. The two of them had a hard time communicating, so his mother would make him his favorite meal to help break the ice. Food was a way that this family shared and showed their love for each other.
The little boy was sent off to boarding school for about ten years before he came home for good. He decided to come to stay once he found out that his mother was very sick. His mother had Cancer. He decided to put all his years of observation in the kitchen to use and started cooking for his family. He had high hopes that his mother would like his cooking, but it was difficult since she wasn’t able to eat. Like many great chef’s, when his mother passed away all her recipes were gone too. Some of the greatest cooks only made mental notes of how to prepare their meals, they never made it to paper. The little boy decided to stay home for good and continue cooking for his family to honor his mother’s memory.
This was a touching story. I think that it is so sad that many traditions are nonexistent anymore these days. My mother and father would tell us stories of their big family meals and how breaking the bread with your close family and friends is all about. I was brought up in a similar setting. I hope that I can carry the tradition onto my family so they know what the best memories are really all about. I really enjoyed reading this story.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Andrea,

    You raise an important point about family and cultural traditions. So much of our history, identities, and experiences are connected to these traditions. I'm hopeful that people are working to pass on these traditions and the knowledge embedded within them.

    Thanks for your insight!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea,
    I also think it's sad that traditions like these are so rare now. Families need to keep a strong connection and Chang-rae's family did a great job of that even after his mother died. I also hope to carry on that tradition in my family.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrea,
    I enjoyed your summary, I agree that there aren't as many traditions as there used to be. Your summary was very concise and detailed, I also hope that I can carry the tradition of eating great meals together as a family.
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete