About Me

Hello there everyone! My name is Andrea. I am twenty-five years old. I have a seven week old little girl. I am currently a stay at home mom. I grew up and am still located in Clearlake. I am majoring in nursing. I am pretty sure that I want to be a nurse, but as many people I am sometimes still unsure. I love to hunt, fish and to go running. I enjoy being outdoors with my daughter and my fiancé. We hunt turkeys, ducks, pheasant and deer. We have a chocolate lab named Remington. He is trained for hunting and retrieving birds. We enjoy the simple country life here in Clearlake. As far as college goes I am excited for another semester. I am a visual learner who likes to try to get my assignments in a little earlier than the due dates. I do have to take my time when it comes to reading. I have a hard time focusing while I am reading since I am not a sit down and read type of person. I only read for the sake of my classes, otherwise I hate reading. I am hoping to become a better at reading and writing this semester. I am a little rusty since I have been out of school for eight years now. I look forward to getting to know all of you in the course.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Shooting Dad....

The significance of the title, “Shooting Dad,” is a daughter honoring her father’s last wish. Sarah and her father never really were able to get along as they didn’t see eye to eye on politics or their hobbies. Sarah really enjoyed the arts while her father was a gunsmith. I had a similar situation in my household growing up.

My sister and father would hardly ever see eye to eye on anything. My sister saw my father and I as murders since we both love to hunt. My sister is also very anti guns and violence. My father owns numerous guns and feels as though war is sometimes necessary. My sister and father have argued countless times about politics. To this day I refuse to ask any questions about politics as I am afraid to stir up an argument. Living with my dad and sister was like living with Sarah and her father I am sure. I found it wonderful that Sarah was able to put all her own feelings aside and honor her fathers final wish.

Sarah’s father’s final wish was to have his ashes shot out of his home made cannon on opening day of hunting season. This was not the easiest thing for Sarah to do, but being it was to honor her father she was able to shoot the cannon. Sarah had also realized that her father and her were similar creatures which made it easier for her to shoot the cannon too. "Oh. My. God. My dad and I are the same person. We’re both smart-alecky loners with goofy projects and weird equipment.” This gave Sarah peace of mind knowing that her and her father were actually closer than she had ever realized.

This was a very powerful story. I really enjoyed reading about the differences between a father and his daughter that ended up not be all that different. As I stated before this reminded me so much of my dad and my sister. I just hope that they can realize their similarities opposed to only seeing one another for their differences. Life is too short to not appreciate each other for our differences.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Andrea,

    It sounds like your sister and dad might enjoy reading this essay. I like that you've shared your experience and similarity with "the loneliest twin". She doesn't have much of a voice in this reading, and I've often wondered what it must have been like growing up with her dad and sister at war.

    Your post also has me thinking about the power of our beliefs and ideas. So much of our politics are indistinguishable from our personal beliefs and values; maybe that's the reason political discussions are heated and messy.

    Thanks for sharing your insights.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Andrea
    I wonder if Sarah's father's mortality had something to do with her feeling closer to her father at that time. It was such a personal moment that her father shared with her about his ashes and the cannon. I wonder also if Sarah's sister had a similar conversation with her dad. In the end, whatever the nuances might have been, it was great to see a father and daughter bond even through their many differences.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrea,
    It sounds like you had a very similar situation as Sarah and probably can understand it better than many of us. I think the story has more to do with the connection Sarah finally found with her dad than it does with just honoring her dad's last wish. Sarah finally connected with her dad in a way she never thought she could and at the same time she realized how very similar they really were. It was a very powerful story.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete